The latest online fraud has scammed thousands of euro from Irish businesses by hacking trusted email addresses. Emails are sent purportedly from a trusted supplier stating that their bank account details have changed and funds are transferred to a bogus bank account.
An Garda Siochana have issued advice from a businessman who was recently fell victim to this scam:-
- Trust no email full stop.
- Check all incoming email addresses - that they are correct and coming from a trusted source, it’s important also to check other email addresses copied on the mail chain, in order to check that they are also genuine.
- The hackers block others on the email chain and isolate the individual making the payment – thus removing any other stakeholder from questioning the payment process.
- Simple changes such as swapping, adding or deleting letters in an email address are commonly used to make you think it’s coming from a genuine source.
- Be especially vigilant for any requested changes of bank payment details, for example, amounts to be paid, account number, name of bank etc.
- Always pick up the phone to your supplier/vendor to verbally confirm the change request details.